"If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
Thomas Edison

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Not Sew Perfect Seamstress

I have recently discovered a new found love... sewing!!
Yes, it's true! Let me explain.

My church has a sewing group. I have known about the group for a year and have never really paid it much attention. I thought it was neat that they have a place for the ladies to come practice their sewing and fellowship. It's really set up nice with several sewing stations and a whole wall of shelves full of wonderfully colored fabrics. How quaint! I never really understood it as a "ministry" until recently at our WMU meeting the leader of the sewing group got up to speak. She's a lovely older woman with fiery orange hair and a spunky attitude. She brought out some of the lovely things the sewing group has made and explained what it is they really do. They make beautiful quilts for the children who live in the Florida Baptist Children's Homes. They make adult bibs for elderly people who live in nursing homes. They make T-shirt dresses for orphan girls on foreign countries like Haiti and Guatemala. And more! It was amazing. And she spoke about how the women who come just love to serve others with this little talent God has blessed them with. It was really quite moving.

Well wouldn't you know my sweet Savanna was there and said "Momma, can we join the sewing group!?" I didn't even hesitate. That Thursday we showed up ready to learn. I asked the leader ahead of time if it was ok for newbies to come. She seemed to think it would be fine. I made sure she understood that Savanna was just 6 years old and that I have NEVER used a sewing machine in my life! She just smiled sweetly and said "Come join us!" I tried to prep Savanna, who get's super excited about everything (don't know where she gets that), that we most likely would not actually "sew" anything on our first day. I told her that they would probably use us as helpers to fold fabric or pick up push pins. Boy was I wrong! First day, we walk in and are greeted by 4 beautiful smiling faces, ready to teach us newbies how to sew! They had two machines set up and designated for us, they even had a little stool under the pedal for Savanna to reach. Our first task was to learn the ins and outs of the machine. That wasn't too hard. Then we were told to sew straight lines on bits of scrap fabric. That proved a little more difficult but hey,  we were-a-sewing!! I can't tell you how much fun it was just sewing straight lines!


Well, Savanna and I are hooked! After seeing that there was something fun and creative that we can do to serve others in our community and across the globe, we have just dove right in. We have even borrowed a sewing machine and brought it back to the house to keep practicing! AND... we wanted to come up with an idea that we could add to their roster that was something personal Savanna would enjoy making. We came up with the idea to make stuffed animals. What child wouldn't love a stuffed animal, especially a child who's been hurt and abandoned! So I found some ideas on Pinterest and tried my hand at it. I made a dinosaur first and it was just too cute! Then I tried to take the same basic steps and make a puppy. It turned out really cute as well! So we pitched the idea to the sewing group and they were all for it!

There are many benefits of joining the sewing group:
1) It's FUN!
2) It's relaxing and a nice change of atmosphere from the chaos at my house LOL!
3) It's a special time I get to spend with Savanna.
4) It's a great ministry opportunity!
But to me, the thing that surpasses all this is the fact that Savanna and I get to spend time with these lovely ladies! They are so wise and have so much to offer. We read in Titus 2:3-5 that older women are supposed to teach young women to live reverently, to love their husband and children, and to be good homemakers. I just adore these women who are actively living out Titus 2. They have embraced a 6yr old and a young mother and have been teaching us so much (and I don't just mean sewing techniques). They love the Lord and they are so full of life. It really is something special.
Perhaps your church has a sewing group, a WMU, or some other ministry with older women involved. I highly recommend joining! If your church doesn't offer any ministries for seniors, try finding some older Christian women in your church or your community who would be willing to spend time with you and your daughter. Maybe she could interview a few of the elderly women in your church. They have so much life experience, so much wisdom, so much to share.
 
Here's some of our sewing projects...
Samuel(4yrs) using sewing
machine for the first time

He made a handkerchief for
his daddy to wipe his forehead
when he's preaching!

Savanna sewing her quilt squares

My quilting project

My quilt ready to sew
with batting

Savanna's scarecrow costume
(so easy to make! Will
upload a tutorial)

Gracie's scarecrow tutu

Gideon's scarecrow costume
pinned and ready to sew

Bye for now,
Kristina


No comments:

Post a Comment