"If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
Thomas Edison

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cake Diaries

My daughter recently fell in love with specialty cake shows. She is amazed at how the Chef can take something as simple as sugar, butter, and flour, and turn it into a magnificent piece of art. (I think it's pretty cool too!) So she decided she wants to make cakes! And I said, "Let's do it!"

This is the first installment of our "Cake Diaries" about our adventures in cake making and decorating. This is an awesome project for homeschooling because cooking and baking are both so much fun, a great family activity, and can actually be useful in learning math, following instructions, working with others, and creativity. Also, keeping a cake diary helps with writing, reading, and story-telling. I am so excited to begin this journey with my daughter and I hope you enjoy it as well!

Cake Diaries by Savanna
Entry: 1
Cake: Agent P

"Today I made a yellow cake. We used 3 eggs, 1 cup of water, and 1/3 up of oil. I used 2 round cake pans and baked them for 23 minutes at 350*. My mom and my brother helped. We cut out shapes for eyes and a beak. We used blue, orange, white, and brown frosting. When we put it all together, it looked like Perry the Platypus from Phineas and Ferb! We wrote 'Agent P' with green frosting. I think it looks nice. By: Savanna"

(Note: We used a composition notebook for her cake diary. I pre-wrote words and left blanks for her to fill in. As she gets older she can write these entries on her.)




 




















By for Now,
Kristina

Ps. Agent P is pretty easy to make if you want to try it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment